Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kettlebell Class I

Three years ago a work friend told me about kettlebells as an exercise routine. Her cousin was an instructor and my friend was starting to get into it. She certainly peaked my curiosity and ever since I have wanted to try it. Well, that opportunity just presented itself. My work sent an email a few weeks ago about offering kettlebell classes as part of their fitness center. I signed up and today was my first day of class.

Here's some background: Kettlebells looks like a cannon ball with a handle. From what I understand they were developed in Russia as part of militia training. The workouts involve swinging the bell and are intended to increase strength, endurance, agility and balance. All in all it ends up to be a simultaneous cardio and strength-training workout.

An instructor from Southside Kettlebells comes to lead our class. Our instructor, Joe, is second from the right in the photo on their website. At the close of class 1 of 8, he seems super nice and helpful. My form is far from correct and he walked me through how to improve. The class was fun, even though half-way through I wanted to know how much longer we had left. Right now I'm just a little sore, but I'm excited for next week.

Update 3/20/09: I am a LOT sore!! I feel like I have to swing my body to get my legs to move. I'm still looking forward to the next class, but really hope my muscles heal first.

No comments: