Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book Club: March Book

I am not an avid reader however in an attempt to read more I joined a book club last August. The book club contains a few friends and then a lot of others I hadn't met. It's been really fun to get to know more everyone and expand my circle.

Thus far I have attended all monthly meetings and in all but one instance, have read the book. (The book I didn't finish in time was The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao; I have since read it.)

We select our books two months in advance. In January I presented the list of book suggestions for March and Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell was chosen. My brother loaned me a copy several years ago and I had never read it. So I was pretty excited when the book picked was one I already had on hand. Plus, I think my brother was pumped he would finally get his copy back.
The book is based George Orwell's descent into poverty while living in Paris and London. For a nice summary, check out Wikipedia.

I thought it was a good read with an interesting perspective. I certainly walked away with an altered view of restaurants and vagrants. Also, I learned that a sanatorium does not equal an insane asylum (Whoops! I thought they were synonymous…). Now I just need to give my brother his copy back and we can chat about it.

*Also, I just got invited to a different book club. It is all ladies, wives or friends of Rich's from college. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with two books a month, but it should be fun!

No comments: