Monday, March 30, 2009

Dinner for One

Today after work I wanted an easy dinner idea, ideally featuring tilapia. I had taken some tilapia out of the freezer yesterday, hoping to make it later this week but when my dinner plans for tonight changed, tilapia was back in the mix.

So I headed to google in search of a tasty, fast and simple recipe. I ended up making a number of modifications to the original recipe, Easy Tilapia from All Recipes.com, so for simplicity's sake only my version is below.

Easy Tilapia
Ingredients
6 oz. Tilapia (for me, this was two fillets)
Cooking Spray (or olive oil)
1/4 t. Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/2 lemon
1/2 c. water
1 c. cherry tomatoes
3 T. capers
1 c. mushrooms
1 c. asparagus (trimmed and cut into 1" pieces)

Directions:
1. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Place fillets in skillet and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle lemon juice over fillets. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until fish flakes with fork. Flip fillet and sprinkle with more pepper and garlic powder. When both sides have cooked, transfer fillets to a plate and keep warm.
2. Add water, remaining juice from 1/2 lemon, tomatoes, mushrooms and capers to the pan. Increase heat to medium-high. Gently smash the cherry tomatoes with a spatula. Cook for 4 minutes.
3. Add fillets back to the skillet along with the asparagus. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes, until asparagus is tender. Transfer fillets, mushrooms, tomatoes and asparagus back to the plate.
4. Turn heat up to high to reduce sauce, takes ~2 minutes.
5. Pour sauce over the fillets. Serve immediately.

Yum! This was super flavorful and very fast. According to the official recipe, both prep and cooking time take 15 minutes each, but I felt like this was on my plate faster than that.

*If you are looking for a single skillet dish, this recipe fits the bill. You do have to transfer it out of the skillet to a plate, but later I just used that one as my dinner plate. After all, I was the only one eating. :)

No comments: