Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Book Club II: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

The book club I was just invited to selected In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan as their April Book choice. Lucky for me, my original book club had picked this book for our January read.

Overall it is an educational book, or at least it was for me. The basic idea is: eat pure foods. If the food wasn't alive or directly derived from something that was living at one point, don't eat it. When buying prepared foods, the fewer ingredients listed the better the food probably is for you.

Did I change my food choices as a result of reading the book? No.
Do I buy organic? No, because I am cheap.
Have I increased my fruit/vegetable intake? Yes. However this change is unrelated to the book.
Does it make me think about the foods I eat? Yeah, sometimes. I think about it more with light, fat free or low-cal products. Only because I wonder how did they make it fat free and what was added to make it "healthy."
Is there anything I want to change or do as a result of reading this book? Yes. I kind of want to subscribe to a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm. As a member you receive weekly deliveries of sustainably grown produce during the standard growing season (June-October).

At book club we barely discussed the book, but that's okay. It was a great excuse to get together and meet new people (and talk to some I don't see often enough). I asked to become a permanent add and am excited to find out what the book is for next month.

No comments: