Friday, May 29, 2009

Craft # 5e: Mango Ginger Yogurt

For a while I've wanted to try Greek yogurt. I've heard a lot about it, but up until now had not used or tasted it. When this recipe called for it as an ingredient, I was pretty excited to have an excuse to buy some. I liked this recipe because it is pure ingredients and does not include a custard base. So in my mind that means no post-mixing refrigeration required.

Mango Ginger Frozen Yogurt
(Source: Sugar Laws)

Ingredients
1 large mango, peeled and pitted
1 tsp fresh grated ginger [I used 1/2 t. ground ginger]
3/4 cup sugar [I think I only used 1/2 c. sugar]
6 ounce carton vanilla yogurt
5 ounce container plain Greek yogurt [I used closer to 8 oz]
1 tbsp vodka
2 T. crystallized ginger

In a food processor {I only have the magic bullet, so I used that} puree the mango, ginger, vodka and sugar until combined. Add the vanilla yogurt and Greek yogurt and process until blended. {At this point the volume outgrew the Magic Bullet, so I had to mix smaller batches.}

Churn in an ice cream machine for about 40 minutes, when almost done add crystallized ginger to yogurt mixture. Freeze for 2 hours or to the consistency you prefer.
{Juicy Mango}
{Mango Ginger Yogurt Sandwich on White Chocolate, Coconut, Almond Cookies: Side View}

{Mango Ginger Yogurt Sandwich on White Chocolate, Coconut, Almond Cookies: Arial View}

No comments: