Saturday, May 9, 2009

Craft # 5b: Cake Batter Ice Cream

For Mother's Day I made not one, not two, but three different ice creams. The first one I made was cake batter ice cream. I know that Cold Stone Creamery carries this variety, but our "Neighborhood Ice Cream Shoppe" also has it and Rich ordered it once. One word: YUM! It really does taste like cake plus it has sprinkles.

My mom love ice cream cake, the DQ kind, but I thought I would take a different spin on it and make cake flavored ice cream.

Cake Batter Ice Cream
(Sources include: Recipezaar, Spice Dish and Scoopalicious)
Ingredients:
2/3 cup of sugar
4 large eggs yolks
1 cup skim milk
2 cups half and half [I used fat free half and half]
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup Yellow Cake mix [I used closer to +1 cup. I really liked the flavor and kept adding cake mix to the custard]
Dash of salt (optional) [I added it]
Sprinkles

Directions:
Beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Add the cake mix.

In a large saucepot, over medium heat bring the milk and half and half to a simmer add dash of salt. Once simmering, remove from stove and slowly add the hot milk mixture into the egg, sugar and cake mix and whisk until well mixed. Pour the entire mixture back into the sauce pan, and cook over low heat while mixing constantly until the mixture thickens. {The mixture may start to "bake" -- if this happens, take it off the stove immediately - it can still be salvaged by pouring through a strainer into a clean bowl.}

Remove from heat, and strain into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until cool (for several hours or overnight). Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Tip: taste mixture half way through to see if I have enough flavor, if you like more then you can add another tablespoon or two dry mix. For every quart of ice cream you should have 1/2 cup dry mix for flavor incorporated. [This is how I ended up using more than 3/4 c. mix]

Variations:
For cake batter lumps: Add additional dry cake mix half way or ten minutes before the freezing is complete and/or add another 2 tablespoons dry mix at the end of the freezing process and swirl with a spatula for lumps of dry mix. {did it}
Confetti Cake: Add rainbow sprinkles to the ice cream semi-frozen ice cream (about five minutes before ready to remove it from the ice cream maker.) Eat immediately or transfer to another container and freeze. {also did it. Not sure how much I added, but probably close to 2-3T.}
Add chunks of prepared cake: Five minutes before completion add cupcake pieces and sprinkles {didn't try}
Lemon & Strawberry Cheesecake: Use Lemon Supreme Cake Mix, fold in the strawberries and some toasted coconut at the very end. {didn't try it}
It was good. My dad's feedback was "it coats the back of his throat." Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I thought it tasted like cake and that was the point. In a later post you'll see what the full scoop looked like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked it...but what I really liked is that you brought me THREE kinds for Mother's Day. I am such a lucky mom!!! m