Monday, January 12, 2009

Shrimp with Tomatoes (and Feta)

First off -- I Costco. This weekend my Mom and I went to Costco. They had a seafood cart set up with *huge* shrimp for $8.99. I ordered 15 shrimp and continued shopping, only to turn right around and ask for another 12. They were just too good to pass up!

Shrimp in hand, I decided to try a new recipe I found on The Nest. Apparently they obtained it from 12 Best Foods Cookbook by Dana Jacobi. I made a few changes, but still thought it turned out well. I've listed my alterations in blue. I ate my portion with a serving of salad. (I used some of the extra sauce as salad dressing). I wish I would have made a little rice to go with it, too. My husband's portion just looked so tiny w/o a salad or rice.

Shrimp with Cherry Tomatoes and Feta
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (12-ounce) bag cherry tomatoes on the vine (I didn't have cherry tomatoes so I used six small tomatoes, quartered)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/4 cup dry white wine, or fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth (I had beef broth on hand, so I used it)
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (I eliminated this)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I eliminated this, too)
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and stir with a wooden spoon until they just lose their raw color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, oregano, and broth. Cook, using a spoon to roll the tomatoes around, until most of the liquid has boiled off, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and cook 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper, and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this looks great and I am going to try it. Mom