Thursday, October 22, 2009

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Around noon I started getting hungry again so I started working on my lunch. I knew these two ingredients would play a starring role. So I got started. I preheated the oven to 400* F and prepped the butternut squash. I trimmed both the top and bottom off, split the "bulb" portion from the "non-bulb" portion of the squash and proceeded to peel the two portions. To peel the squash I used both a vegetable peeler and a knife. Both worked well. Once peeled, I split the bulb in half and scraped out the seeds.
At that point, I cut the peeled squash into 1" cubes and placed them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
During this process I got inspired and decided to cut a few apples to roast with the butternut squash.
And then I prepped the brussel sprouts by trimming the bottoms and halving as necessary, so they were all similar size. I also placed these on a parchment lined baking pan.
I coated both pans with ~1 T. olive oil (each) + salt & pepper and tossed each tray to coat. In to the oven the both trays went... for 45 minutes.
In the meantime I snacked on a piece of garlic ciabatta bread. Which led to inspiration... croutons!! So I cut two more slices, and cut those into 1" pieces. I threw them into the oven with 15 minutes bake time remaining.
As my veggies + croutons roasted, I tried to figure out what else I would have for lunch. Brussel sprouts + squash + croutons do not make a satisfying lunch for me. After some brainstorming, I decided to incorporate my now three key ingredients into a salad. I grabbed some sun dried tomatoes (five or so), chopped those up and added them to a base of 3+ c. spring lettuce mix.
After 45 minutes the brussel sprouts, squash, apples and croutons were golden brown. Perfect!! I tried an apple slice. Delicious!! So delicious that I didn't eat them off a plate or snap a single photo. They were gone in no time. Super good.I tossed a bunch of the brussel sprouts, squash and croutons on top of my salad and dove in. 45 minutes of roast time equated to a hungry hungry girl. I'm not even sure it took me more than 5 minutes to eat this salad. And... it was a BIG salad.



With lunch over, I am back to work. For Malin this means... back to nap time.

No comments: