Monday, August 10, 2009

Plum & Blueberry Cobbler

Last week we were invited to our friend's house for a mid-week dinner party. Weekends get so hard to plan around, especially during the summer, but weekdays... I just never think to capitalize on them. I offered to bring a fruit cobbler for dessert and they accepted. I already had plums and blueberries on hand and was hoping I could find some a recipe that combined the two.

In the general scheme of things, this was a relatively light dessert; no butter, less than 1 c. sugar and fresh fruit. I, of course, partnered it with vanilla ice cream which took away some of the "lightness" of the dessert, but it was "light" vanilla ice cream so that helped.

Plum-Blueberry Cobbler
(Source: Prevention Magazine)

8 plums, quartered [I used 5 plums, sliced thinly ~12 slices/fruit]
1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries [I used fresh]
1/2 c. sugar [I used 1/3 c.]
4 t. sugar
2 T. unbleached or all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking powder
1/8 t. salt [I probably used closer to 1/4 t. salt]
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 egg white, lightly beaten [I used a whole egg]
1 1/2 T. vegetable oil [I used 2 T. apple sauce and 1 t. vegetable oil]
Dash of cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat an 8" x 8" baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the plums, blueberries, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Pour into the prepared baking dish, sprinkle fruit with cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, combine 3 teaspoons of the remaining sugar, the baking powder, salt, and the remaining 1 cup flour.

In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg white, and oil. Pour into the medium bowl with the flour mixture. Stir until a thick batter forms. Drop the batter in tablespoonfuls on top of the fruit. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Remove to a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition facts (recipe w/o my alterations): 203.5 calories, 3.3g fat, 0.3g saturated fat, 0.6 mg cholesterol, 75.3 mg sodium, 41.7 g carbohydrates, 25.6 g total sugars, 2.3 g dietary fiber, 3.5 g protein
{Here's what the dish looked like after the party. Yeah, they must have hated it.} :)

No comments: