Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Eggplant Chips

Last week at our Farmer's Market I bought some eggplants. I want to make grilled eggplant Parmesan. Well -- I haven't done that yet, so I found another use for one of the three I bought: eggplant chips.

I found a recipe on a blog I've been following for a while now, Beantown Baker. Unfortunately my version was not very tasty, but that had to do with the very stale bread crumbs I used, not the recipe. I will likely make these again, but make a few more changes {still no dressing, omit bread crumbs, just top with salt, pepper and garlic}.

Here's the recipe (with my modifications) -

Eggplant Chips
(Source: Beantown Baker)
Ingredients
1 regular sized eggplant (2 medium zucchini or 2 baby eggplants)
1 Tbsp Kraft Free Italian Salad Dressing {omitted, I didn't have any on hand}
1/8 cup seasoned bread crumbs {I used super STALE, plain bread crumbs and added garlic powder, Greek seasoning, salt and pepper}
1/2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese {omitted, I didn't have any grated Parmesan on hand}

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice eggplant (zucchini) into 1/4" slices. Toss in bowl with Italian dressing. Mix breadcrumbs and cheese in a bowl and dredge coated zucchini slices through bread crumb mixture. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray {I just lined the sheet with parchment paper} and lay eggplant (zucchini) flat. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping chips once halfway through. After 20 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and turn broiler on high. Broil on each side for 2-3 minutes. {Okay - that last part? The part about broiling. Well, I honestly didn't read that part before now. Instead, I baked my chips for ~30 minutes until browned} Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.

Yields 2 servings.

{finished product}

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway! Sorry these didn't turn out for you...

Unknown said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this. I made a big pan of eggplant parmigiana last week and although it was a lighter recipe, it was still too cheesy and rich for my taste.