Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thai Style Ginger-Chicken-Broccoli Wrap

This was a fun, fast recipe I tried a couple of weeks ago. Yum!

Thai Style Ginger-Chicken-Broccoli Wraps
(Source: Fitness Magazine, May 2009)
Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients
12 oz. skinless boneless chicken-breast strips [I just used regular chicken breast, cut into strips]
1/4 t garlic salt [we don't have garlic salt so I used garlic powder + salt]
1/8 t black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
2 c. packaged broccoli slaw
1/2 t. ground ginger
3 T. creamy peanut butter
1 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 t. minced garlic [I used 1 t.]
3 10" whole-wheat tortillas, warmed

Sprinkle chicken strips w/ garlic, salt and pepper [I also added red pepper flakes]. Coat a skillet w/ cooking spray. Add chicken; cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan, keep warm. [I didn't remove it from the pan... whoops. I just kept it in there and continued w/ the recipe].

Add broccoli slaw and 1/4 t. of ground ginger to skillet. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes, or until vegetables are crunchy crisp.

In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, 2 T. water, soy sauce, minced garlic and the remaining ginger. Heat over low heat until smooth, whisking constantly. [Again I didn't follow directions - and didn't whisk constantly. I'm not sure if it is because I used natural peanut butter or because the peanut butter got too hot, or that I just wanted a thinner consistency for the sauce, but I ended up adding a lot more water, closer to 1/3 c. and extra soy sauce. I also added red pepper flakes, black pepper and cayenne. Oh! And I doubled the ginger amount. We wanted a more flavorful sauce, I guess.]

To assemble, spread tortillas w/ peanut sauce, top w/ chicken strips and vegetable mixture. Roll up each tortilla securing w/ a toothpick. Cut in half, serve immediately. [This is what I actually did for assembly: heat tortilla in microwave for ~15-20 seconds, add chicken & broccoli mixture, top w/ peanut sauce (~2 T), wrap, eat]

Nutrition facts per serving: 191 calories, 18 g. protein, 16g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fat (1 g. saturated), 2 g. fiber


They were good, simple and fast!! I ended up with about a cup of extra peanut butter sauce, but used that in subsequent things. Plus I was glad I had thinned it out as much as I did. I wanted a sauce, not a spread. Rich had one 10" wrap and that was filling enough for him. I had two 8" wraps. [One really would have been enough, but I still had the second one and was very happy with that decision.] I was left with one additional serving of the chicken/broccoli mixture and brought that to lunch. [Clearly I'm wasn't very good at portioning the recommended 6 servings, but oh well.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THIS WAS DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! I made it yesterday and am lucky enough to have left over for tomorrow's lunch! It was just great. m