Friday, February 13, 2009

Care Packages (If I bake a batch of cookies... )

As I was writing this post, I thought it was a bit like the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

I have never, in all of my days, sent a care package to anyone. That changed earlier today.

Our friends (Rich's freshman roommate and his wife) had a baby a few weeks ago. I finally* bought a gift for them. Since they live out of town, we needed to mail them their gift. As I was assembling the baby's gifts, I thought the new mom and dad might appreciate a gift of their own. And then I thought about their pup Pancake - who might want a treat, too. So, I whipped up a batch of chocolate and butterscotch chip cookies for Mom and Dad and packed up some of Malin's dog bones for Pancake.

As long as I was baking cookies and going to the post office, I figured I should make a second batch, this time M&M cookies, to send to other friends across the country.** After baking, I packaged the cookies in labeled ziploc bags, wrapped the packages and headed to the post office.

All-in-all the cost was minimal to send the three packages. They were shipped Air, First Class and Parcel Post. I upgraded the shipments on all but one package. I'm not sure why, but that last one was just too pricey and it was only cookies.

I'm excited to hear from the recipients; this should be a big surprise.

*Honestly, I am terrible at remembering to buy baby gifts and *must* get better! I also have no idea what is a good gift, post-baby birth. If I'm going to a shower, that's exponentially easier, I can just go off the registry. But otherwise, my staples are to buy an outfit and book . While I suppose those work, I'm still hoping to find a non-clothing gift that is still fun and useful.

**Now that I think about it -- I really should have sent some cookies to our friend in TX completing his US Army training. My excuse for now will be that I don't have the mailing address, but what a sad excuse!!

Here are some pictures of what the packages USPS will soon be delivering:

2 comments:

Krystle said...

That is so sweet of you!!

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

OMG, You are the sweetest person ever in the whole world!

I haven't had a child but love me some M&M cookies, so next time you get an itch'en to do a carepackage, I can get you my new Moundsview mail stop :)