Friday, September 25, 2009

Pumpkin Ice Cream

First off... Hello to any visitors that came over from Jen's blog!!

Below is the recipe I used for the pumpkin ice cream we had last night for dinner.

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
(Source: based on the recipe I used for the PB+cookie ice cream I made in July) - makes 1 quart
1 1/2 cups skim milk

1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature
2 c. fat free half and half
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 1/2 T. dark corn syrup
1/4 t. salt
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. nutmeg
[I used 1 t. for the version I made last night and it was a little overpowering. I think 1/2 to 1/4t. should be plenty]
1/4 t. ground cloves
*Optional: Gingersnap cookies for garnish

In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the milk with the cornstarch. Whisk thoroughly so the cornstarch doesn't clump up. In another large bowl, whip the cream cheese, pumpkin, salt and spices until smooth.

In a large saucepan, combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of milk with the heavy cream, sugar and corn syrup. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and simmer over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. You may need to pull the mixture half off the burner so it doesn't boil over.

Take the milk mixture off the heat and gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, over moderately high heat until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes - no more.

Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese+pumpkin until smooth. Chill completely - overnight, ideally.

After mixture is completely chilled, pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. When it's frozen, scrape the ice cream out of its freezing chamber and into a large bowl. Serve immediately with a gingersnap cookie or pack the ice cream into a plastic container. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream and close with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.

Because this recipe included a lot of fat-free ingredients, minimal sugar and no eggs I was really interested to calculate the nutritional content. I use a website and based the calculation off the assumption that 1 quart = 8 servings. I think it actually will contain more, but just in case I want to eat a *big* bowl, I thought I'd go with fewer servings. Needless to say, I liked the numbers even if they do equate to a C+.

1 comment:

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

DELISH! It was so yummy Nicole!